Western United Life Medicare supplement policies are available under its own brand as well as its parent company, Manhattan Life. Western United Life Insurance is rated a B+ company by A.M. Best Rating. This rating shows good financial stability and reserves.
Western United Life’s parent company, Manhattan Life Insurance Company, was founded in 1850. Originally, Manhattan Life only offered life insurance. A fun fact about the company – they were the very first company to offer a life insurance policy to a woman. They also issued the first group life policy. After the Civil War, Manhattan Life became known as “Old Reliable” because they continued to pay death benefits to the widows and families of fallen soldiers. In 1894, the original Manhattan Life office building in New York City was the tallest building in the world.
Western United Life Medicare supplement plan availability varies by state. They offer Plan A, Plan C, Plan F, Plan G, and Plan N in various states.
Neither Manhattan Life Insurance Company or its affiliates nor its Medicare supplement insurance policies are connected with or endorsed by the U.S. government or the federal Medicare program.
Western United Life Medicare Supplement Benefits
When you choose a Western United Life Medicare supplement, here are some of the benefits you will receive:
- Ability to utilize any doctor, specialist, or hospital anywhere in the country that accepts original Medicare
- Coverage is guaranteed renewable for life
- Easy-to-qualify for 7% household discount (where available)
- Initial 12-month rate lock
- Most plans offer s
omecoverage for foreign travel
- 30 day free look period
Why Choose a Medigap Plan From Western United Life?
- Easy, quick online electronic application (CLICK)
- Quick underwriting turnaround, sometimes with instant approval
- Outstanding claims handling and customer service
- Online secure access to claims history and Explanation of Medicare Benefits forms through their customer portal
Western United Life Medicare Supplement Plan F
All Medicare plans are standardized by the federal government. This means that Plan F (or any lettered plan) is identical from company to company. A Western United Life Medicare supplement Plan F will provide the same great benefits as any other Plan F with another company. It covers all deductibles for hospital and outpatient care. It also covers the coinsurance for all services approved by Medicare.
Because of changes coming to the Plan F in 2020, we are no longer recommending the Plan F (link). We recommend Plan N.
With Plan F or any other Medigap plan, you can go to any doctor, specialist, or hospital that accepts original Medicare. There are no networks to be concerned with.
Western United Life Medicare Supplement Plan G
The only difference between Plan F and Plan G as you can see in the chart below is that Plan G does not cover the Part B deductible. In 2019, that annual deductible is $185. Yet, often the difference in premium between these plans is a few hundred dollars per year or more.
Western United Life Medicare Supplement Plan N
If you are looking for a lower premium in exchange for covering some of your own medical expenses out of pocket, Plan N is worth taking a look at. Like the Plan G, The Plan N does not cover the annual Part B deductible. Also, you will also be responsible for a doctors visit co-pay of up to $20 per visit. There is a $50 co-pay for emergency room visits. If you are admitted to the hospital as a result of your emergency room visit, that deductible is waived.
Plan N also does not cover Excess Charges. However, your provider cannot charge you more than 15% above what Medicare approves for any procedure or visit. That 15% they are allowed to charge is called an Excess Charge. We cover Excess Charges in depth at the article at this link.
Western United Life Client Portal
Western United Life offers a secure portal for their policyholders. You can see all of your Explanation of Medicare Benefits (EOMB) forms online. You can also order a replacement ID card and see all of your policy benefits and claims information your portal, as well.
Western United Life Online Enrollment
Our agency is allowed to have you enroll directly with Western United Life Medicare supplement plans through our agency portal. That portal can be found here –
If you enroll through our portal, you will still receive the benefits of working with an independent agent. The premium is identical whether you enroll through Integrity Senior Solutions or directly with the company. However, by partnering with us, you get many additional FREE benefits like:
- We handle any customer service or claims issues for you. Western United Life Medicare supplements offer some of the best customer service and claims department personnel in the business. But that won’t really matter for you. If you have an issue, you call us. You do not have to call the insurance company and hold endlessly to get your situation resolved. We do that for you!
- We will continue to shop the market for you. The company you enroll in without using an independent agent will never tell you their competitor’s pricing. They will never tell you of their upcoming rate increases or their history of rate increases. Things can change quickly in the Medicare market. We will be there to proactively watch for any pitfalls that you may not see coming. Medicare is what we do every day.
- We can help you appeal any Medicare claim denials or file Part D exceptions. Although they are rare, there are instances where Medicare may balk at paying for certain procedures that your physician deems necessary. We will help file an appeal and fight alongside you to get the outcome you need.
- We work for you, not the insurance company. It is in our best interest to do a good job before and after the sale. And if there is an issue with the company that needs to be addressed, we are not on the payroll of the company. We are on your side. The dictionary defines an agent this way – “a person who acts on behalf of another person or group.” We don’t act on behalf of the company. We act on behalf of YOU.
Western United Life Telephone Enrollment
For those who would like the assistance of an agent to guide them step by step through the process of enrolling in a Western United Life Medicare supplement plan, we can do your enrollment completely over the phone. I remember the days of driving 1,200 to 1,500 miles a week, visiting people and helping them with their coverage. It wasn’t that long ago. But times are different. It is hard to know if you can trust a stranger to come into your house these days. As sad as that is, it is a fact of how things are today. But now you don’t have to get the house tidy and put on your best shoes for us to come to visit. We can do it all over the phone.
In 2012, we switched to using the telephone for helping our clients. Today, almost every company has an electronic online application that can be securely submitted. We are now also able to utilize screen-sharing technology. As we are on the phone, you can watch along on your computer screen or tablet as we complete your application on the company’s secure application portal. You can see our screen but we cannot see yours. Your privacy and security are of the utmost importance to us.
Western United Life offers very competitive rates in the states where they sell Medigap plans. If they are not offered in your state, check out their parent company, Manhattan Life, which offers Medicare supplements in most of the rest of the United States. Although their AM Best rating is at the bottom of the range that we are willing to recommend, their rate stability and financial strength makes them an easy recommendation.
For assistance, call us at 1-888-228-6119 toll free or use the form on this page to send your questions.
Be sure to check out our YouTube channel for helpful, educational Medicare information (LINK).
Keith Murray is an independent agent and the founder of Integrity Senior Solutions Inc. He has over 23 years of experience working with Seniors to meet their insurance and financial needs.